Dr. Doug Kane
Professor of Biology
Office: Rowe Science Building, Office 105
Website: Research Gate Profile - Google Scholar Profile - Scopus Profile
Dr. Doug Kane began as an Assistant Professor in the Division of Science and Mathematics
at Defiance College in the fall of 2007. He was tenured and promoted to Associate
Professor in 2012, and further promoted to Professor in 2016. His research broadly
includes aquatic and terrestrial ecology, and more narrowly includes biology and ecology
of phytoplankton, zooplankton, benthic macroinvertebrates, terrestrial insects, and
forest tree communities.
He is interested in applied issues dealing with human-induced changes to aquatic and
terrestrial communities, ecosystems, and landscapes, including causes and consequences
of eutrophication on river and lake ecosystems and invasive species’ effects on lake
and forest communities and lake ecosystems. His major research systems for which he
has secured research funding have been the Maumee and Sandusky River watersheds, Lake
Erie’s western, central, and eastern basins, and islands, specifically looking at
harmful algal blooms, along with watershed-river and lake interactions. He has led
service-learning projects dealing with ecological restoration in the Lake Pontchartrain/
Dr. Kane grew up in Westlake, Ohio. His non-academic interests include trivia, classic
rock, and cheering for the Browns, Indians, Cavs, and Buckeyes.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 2004
- M.S., The Ohio State University, 2002; Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology
- B.S., The Ohio State University, 1999; magna cum laude; Major in Zoology; Minors in Plant Biology and History of Art
Involvement at DC:
- McMaster Symposium Committee 2007/08
- McMaster Associate Fellow 2008/09: New Orleans
- McMaster Fellow 2009/11
- Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management Society
- Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography
- Association of College and University Biology Educators
- International Association for Great Lakes Research- Past President (2015-2016), President
(2014-2015), Vice President (2013-2014), Nominations Committee (2012- 2014), Publications
Committee (2013-Present), Conference Committee (2013-2016), Awards Committee (2014-2015)
- Ohio Academy of Science- - Board of Trustees (2011- Present)
- Ohio Lake Management Society
- Society for Ecological Restoration- Midwest-Great Lakes Chapter
- Sigma Xi
- Upper Maumee River Watershed Partnership- Chair (2016- Present), Steering Committee
- Water Management Association of Ohio
- Fellow- Ohio Academy of Science (elected 2014)
- Recipient of International Association of Great Lakes Research “Certificate of Appreciation”
for service to the IAGLR Board of Directors (2014-2016) (2016)
- Honoraries: Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
Recent Publications, Presentations, and Creative Works:
Dr. Kane currently has more than 10 peer reviewed publications in journals such as
Freshwater Biology, Journal of Great Lakes Research, and the Ohio Journal of Science.
He has had two book chapters published in the Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management
Society Checking the Pulse of Lake Erie monograph.
- Kane, D.D., Ludsin, S.A., Briland, R.D., Culver, D.A., and Munawar, M. "Ten+ years gone: Continued
degradation of offshore planktonic communities in U.S. waters of Lake Erie's western
and central basins (2003–2013)." Journal of Great Lakes Research 41: 930-933, 2015.
- Perello, M.M., Simon, T.P., Thompson, H.A., and Kane, D.D. "Feeding ecology of the invasive round goby, Neogobius melanostomus (Pallas 1811), based on laboratory size preference and field diet associated depth
differences in the western basin of Lake Erie." Aquatic Invasions 10: 463-474, 2015.
- Conroy, J.D., Kane. D.D., Briland, R.D., and Culver, D.A. "Systemic, early-season Microcystis blooms in western Lake Erie and its agricultural tributaries (Maumee and Sandusky
rivers)." Journal of Great Lakes Research 40: 518-523, 2014.
- Kane, D.D., Conroy, J.D., Richards, R.P., Baker, D.B., and Culver, D.A. "Re-eutrophication
of Lake Erie: correlation of tributary nutrient loads and phytoplankton biomass."
Journal of Great Lakes Research 40: 496-501, 2014.
- Bridgeman, T.B., Chaffin, J.D., Kane, D.D., Conroy, J.D., Panek, S.E., and Armenio, P. "From river to lake: phosphorus and
algal transformations in western Lake Erie." Journal of Great Lakes Research 38: 90-97, 2012.
- Kutovaya, O.A., McKay, R.M.L., Beall, B., Wilhelm, S.W., Kane, D.D., Chaffin, J.D., Bridgeman, T.B., and Bullerjahn, G.S. "Evidence against fluvial seeding
of recurrent toxic blooms of Microcystis spp. in Lake Erie’s western basin." Harmful Algae 15: 71-77, 2012.
- Munawar, M., Fitzpatrick, M., Munawar, I.F., Niblock, H., and Kane, D. "Assessing ecosystem health impairments using a battery of ecological indicators:
Bay of Quinte, Lake Ontario example." Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 15: 430-444, 2012.
- The Environment Around Us
- Principles of Biology I
- Principles of Biology II
- Field Zoology
- Field Botany
- Fisheries and Wildlife Management
- Restoration Ecology I
- Restoration Ecology II
- Geographic Information Systems
- Junior Science Seminar
- Forensic Science I- Forensic Entomology component
Dr. Kane's Professional CV