Appeals Process

Accessibility Services

Grievance Procedure for Students with Disabilities
If students disagree with the academic adjustments established by Accessibility Services or believe that, based on the provisions of the ADA and Section 504, they have experienced disability-related discrimination, there are several avenues they may pursue. Students may attempt to resolve the matter through informal means. For any academic matter, students should contact the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Academic Dean. For nonacademic matters, students should contact the Dean of Student Engagement.

If the student is not satisfied with the resolution through the informal process or prefers to pursue a formal grievance, the following procedures pertain:
- The student must notify the Affirmative Action Officer in writing, detailing the nature of the complaint and attempts at resolution, if any.
- The Affirmative Action Officer will conduct an investigation into the complaint.
- A review committee will be formed to hear the case if the Affirmative Action Officer finds evidence of discrimination. The committee will be comprised of faculty and administrators appointed by the President.
- The Affirmative Action Officer will preside over the process and communicate the outcome to the student in writing.
- If the Affirmative Action Officer does not find evidence of discrimination, the student will be notified in writing of the specific reason(s) for this determination and his/her right to pursue the matter with external enforcement agencies.

Students involved in a grievance process, whether formal or informal, will not be subject to any form of retaliation, reprisal, or harassment as a result of having filed a complaint or participating in a complaint investigation. Students are encouraged to initiative a grievance within a reasonable period of time, preferably in the same semester during which the issues arose.