DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS - Fall 2020
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email for updates. We are also utilizing our new texting platform to send you reminders as well.
Will campus be open in the fall?
Yes, Defiance College is currently operating with traditional face-to-face instruction but there are some changes. Here are a few of the changes to our normal schedule for fall semester. The Division of Academic Affairs decided to move to a four day a week schedule after careful consideration of information provided by the CDC, the State of Ohio, and other higher education bodies. Classes will be held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday is kept free for students to fully participate in student teaching, internships, and other field experiences due to anticipated physical distancing requirements on sites. The week after Thanksgiving, all classes move 100% remote to complete the semester. Finals week will be held remotely. Students will then be expected to return to campus in January 2021 for continued face-to-face instruction. For more details, please refer to an email sent by Dr. Caldwell.
Will the fall semester start as scheduled?
Yes, fall classes started fully on August 25.
What safety measures are in place at Defiance College with students returning to campus?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus. For more details please click here.
- In consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, we required all students to submit a negative COVID-19 test within 7 days prior to moving into the residences halls or August 21 for Commuter students. The requirement applies to students currently living in Defiance as well. In addition, all students will be asked to complete a Pre-Arrival Questionnaire regarding possible COVID-19 symptoms or exposure to someone who has tested positive.
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will also be required to wear masks when in public spaces on campus. Faculty and staff are required to wear face masks or face shields while interacting with individuals in their offices or classrooms. Students are required to wear a mask in the classroom.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, occurs at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Every effort is being made to ensure students with the same affinity interests (athletic teams, music, etc) are housed together to help reduce the number of social contacts.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance
of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
Are students living on campus?
Yes. However, in consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, we required all students to submit a negative COVID-19 test within 7 days prior to moving into the residences halls or August 21 for Commuter students.
What is being done to promote safety in the residence halls?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. The list below is subject to change and is not all-encompassing.
- Cleaning is doubled for residence hall common areas and restrooms
- Students within the same affinity group (i.e. athletic teams) will be housed together
- We cannot accept requests for room changes at this time
- Non-DC guests are not permitted to be inside the residence halls
- Students are not encouraged to have any guest(s) in their room
- Students are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms
- Students are required to wear masks when not inside their rooms
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students were asked to bring the following items:
- facial coverings (more than one so that you can wash them frequently)
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients)
- sanitizing wipes so that you can help us clean frequently touched surfaces often
- Thermometer. You will have to take and report your temperature daily
Will there be sports in the fall?
No. The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Council of Presidents has made the decision to postpone intercollegiate athletic competition in all fall sports, including championships until the spring semester of 2021. In a unanimous vote, the HCAC leaders agreed to move all fall contests after reviewing the most recent guidance from the NCAA Division III Administrative Committee. Sports at Defiance affected by the conference's latest decision include men's and women's cross country, men's and women's golf, and men's and women's tennis. In late July, the HCAC chose to postpone the traditional fall sports of football, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball - all classified as high contact risk by the NCAA - to next semester. For more details go to www.defianceathletics.com
What safety measures are put in place for student athletes?
The Defiance College Athletics Department is following the NCAA, NATA, CDC, and ODH guidelines as they are developing policies and procedures to prioritize the health and safety of all student-athletes. Safety measures will include (but are not limited to): physical distancing, wearing of facial coverings, symptom and temperature monitoring, and sanitation of equipment and facilities. Specific information will be emailed to student-athletes.
How was the move-in process different this fall?
- Students needed to sign-up for a move-in time prior to arriving.
- Only two helpers were allowed per student and face masks were required.
- A negative COVID-19 test was required within 7 days of a student's move-in time
- Do not move in if you, or your helpers, are experiencing any symptoms of the COVID-19 virus.
- Once students arrived on campus a health check was given.
- Roommates were not permitted to move in at the same time.
What about physical distancing and masks in classrooms?
Defiance reconfigured classrooms to reduce physical distancing. Students are required to wear face masks when they are in public spaces on campus. This includes while in a classroom or lab setting. Instructors are required to wear a face mask or face shield while they are teaching a course.
With the Division of Academic Affairs agreeing to a temporary adjustment to the fall class schedule, classes will meet Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday to allow for safety precautions. Every effort has been made to arrange classrooms in ways to accommodate physical distancing. Course sections will now be split so that half of the students are in a class at any given time. The other half will be completing coursework online. This more hybrid model will help position the College for success if another wave of COVID-19 forces face-to-face instruction to be temporarily suspended.
What about my internship, field placement, etc.?
The updated four day class schedule was created to make certain students have the ability and time to complete any internship, field placement, student teaching, etc. If you have a specific concern, please contact your advisor.
Will I be able to do work study in the fall?
Defiance College offices will be fully open in the fall. It is expected that work study opportunities will be available in the fall semester.
Are there any changes to meal service in the dining hall?
All food stations will be staffed with an employee to help you make your food selections. The dining hall will be at 50% capacity for seating with tables placed 6 feet apart. Due to the reduced seating in the dining hall, we will also have seating available in the Hubbard Banquet Room and some additional picnic tables outside (weather permitting). There will also be a "to go" option in the dining hall as well as the option to order your meal 24 hours in advance for pick-up. The dining area will be deep cleaned after breakfast and lunch. Our dining staff has been trained in all the new procedures and look forward to a healthy new school year.
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
Yes, you can visit but all visits must be scheduled prior. At this time we are not allowing visitors who fly in or visitors from states coded as red. Every visitor must wear a mask. If you do not have one the Admissions Office will provide one for you. Every visitor will have their temperature taken when they arrive. Visitors meet with DC representatives in a large conference room to provide plenty of room for social distancing. The conference room chairs and tables are cleaned before and after a visit. Lunch will be provided to our visitors. It will be in a to-go container and brought to the conference room. This way they can have lunch with coaches or admissions representatives. All tour guides are required to wear a mask and have temperatures tested daily. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
Will Defiance College athletic facilities be open?
Facilities are open for general use by the DC community unless there are intercollegiate practices/events or have been otherwise reserved. Hours have been sent in an email from Athletic Director Derek Woodley on August 24. Health guidelines specific to athletic facilities are posted in each area please follow them so the facilities can remain open.
What about large gatherings scheduled to take place at Defiance College?
Any gathering that exceeds the capacity limit put in place by the State of Ohio will not be allowed on campus. Athletics decisions are being discussed at the conference level and will be forthcoming.
Any update on the in-person commencement for 2020 graduates?
Due to size gathering restrictions currently in place, we have decided to hold a combined commencement for the classes of 2020 and 2021 in May 2021. Students will be notified in the near future with details.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.