The Defiance College CARE Team's role is to collaborate, assess, respond, and educate in potentially unhealthy situations for persons on our campus. Our mission is to provide a systematic response to address persons whose mental or physical health and/or behavior may be disruptive, concerning, harmful, or pose a threat to themselves or to the health and safety of the college community.
As a CARE Team, we define "harmful" on a broad continuum, from being harmful to their or others' ability to be successful while here at DC to posing an actual physical harm or risk to themselves or others.
We hope to intervene early in a situation in a caring manner to ensure that all on campus are able to work to achieve their full potential while here at DC.
- Support student success
- Serve as a coordinating network within the DC community
- Provide a positive method to respond to persons at risk
- Assist in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the DC community
- Be a resource for the community
- Oversee the case coordination and intervention/support plan for each individual
- Initiate appropriate intervention without resorting to punitive measures
- Collaborates with people/departments from across campus and beyond to help ensure success
- Assesses a situation from as many perspectives as possible to help determine the appropriate course of action
- Responds appropriately to a situation of concern to ensure balancing the individual’s need with the educational needs of our students as a whole and the academic mission of the college
- Educates the campus community about how to recognize and respond appropriately to persons at risk
If you have a concern about an individual, please submit your concern via the Submit a Student Concern button on myDC or email firstname.lastname@example.org.