Transfer Credit Policy
There is no limit to the amount of credit that can be transferred to Defiance College
from two and four-year colleges and universities, provided the courses are compatible
with the College’s liberal arts program and the grades are C or higher. However, to
earn a degree from Defiance College students must complete a residency requirement
which includes 30 hours in residence at Defiance College, In addition, transfer students
must complete 15 hours in the major at Defiance College and 24 hours of upper level
(300-400 level courses) at Defiance College or other approved four-year institution.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
Defiance College can determine the transferability of your college course work even before you apply for admission. By sending us your official high school transcript and all official college transcripts, we can do a preliminary evaluation. To find out how your credits will apply toward a degree at Defiance College, simply submit transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended to:
701 N. Clinton St.
Defiance, OH 43512
- Be sure to include your name and current mailing address.
- Indicate your intended major and projected date of enrollment at DC (i.e., fall, spring or summer term and year).
- You will receive written notification of the transfer credit awarded and how it applies to your selected major.
- If you are currently enrolled at another institution, official transcripts will need to be re-sent to DC upon completion of the current term.
Important Information regarding Credit Transfer...
To be admitted in good standing, transfer students must have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) and be in good academic, financial, and social standing at your previous college(s).
- If you have attended more than one college or university, all college grade point averages will be reviewed by DC (in addition, your high school credentials will be reviewed).
- Credit may be granted for noncollegiate courses, courses in the Armed Forces, past work experiences, and CLEP/DANTES credit (official documents certifying completion are required).
- Defiance College requires a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate.
- Students transferring from a four-year college must register for and complete a minimum of 30 semester hours at DC to earn a Defiance College bachelor's degree.
- Non-traditional credit (ex. CLEP/DANTES testing, credit-by-examination, etc.) awarded after the student enrolls at Defiance College is not counted toward the required 30 hours.
At least 15 credit hours at DC must be completed in the major.
Transfer course titles and credit hours will appear on the DC transcript, but the course grades are not computed in the Defiance College GPA.
Transfer students who complete a minimum of 60 hours in residence at DC and graduate with a baccalaureate degree may qualify for graduation honors, if the qualifying grade point average is earned at Defiance College.