Defiance College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3101. The program has Voluntary Withdrew its Accreditation effective May 5, 2019.
As of August, 2016 incoming freshman are no longer able to declare Athletic Training as an undergraduate major.
Application to the professional phase of the ATP is in the second semester of their freshman year. Students must meet the minimum requirements listed below to be considered for the Athletic Training Program. The selection process is competitive and based on academic performance, clinical observation and individual personal qualities.
Several criteria for selection have been given a point value to establish an objective means to evaluate your application. The point value is indicated in bold. Remaining criteria are considered minimum criteria. All must be completed. Meeting minimum application requirements does not guarantee a student entrance into the program.
- Completion of all programs application forms.
- The student must complete the following courses with a B- or better:
AT 100 Introduction to Athletic Training
AT 200 Orthopedic Pathology
BI 229 Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology
ES 190 Medical Terminology
ES 234 First Aid and CPR
- Documentation of a minimum of 80 clinical observation hours.
120+ hours = 20 points
100-120 hours = 15 points
80-100 hours = 10 points
- Successful completion of Athletic Training Modules Level 1 during academic and/or
clinical hours. Specific modules are assigned during AT 100 and AT 200.
- Minimum cumulative DC GPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale.
3.76-4.00 = 25 points
3.51-3.75 = 23 points
3.26-3.50 = 21 points
3.01-3.25 = 19 points
2.76-3.00 = 17 points
2.50-2.75 = 15 points
- Objective evaluations from certified staff, including evaluation based on professionalism,
work ethic, dependability, initiative, and attitude.
Clinical evaluations: average of evaluation scores will be converted to a 20 point scale.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty, coaches, athletic trainers,
etc. to support your candidacy into the Athletic Training Program.
Letters must be from persons other than Athletic Trainers employed by Defiance College. You must use the form provided.
- Proof of Immunizations. The immunization record includes: measles, mumps, rubella,
tetanus, diphtheria, and hepatitis B. The student may sign an assumption of risk waiver
in lieu of receiving the hepatitis B vaccine. The ATP strongly recommends the student
receive the hepatitis B vaccine.
- Ability to meet technical standards of the ATP.
- Signed statement regarding criminal background check.
- Interview with the ATP selection committee, which will be scored with a minimum of
- Background check.
- Completion of placement exam (SP16).