FEBRUARY - MAY
1. Gather information. Think about your reasons for going to college - personal growth, career preparation, and so on.
2. Determine what you want in a college. Identify characteristics important to you - size of classes, total enrollment, location, programs offered, services, atmosphere, activities, scholarships, academic reputation, etc.
3. Request information from the colleges that you like and check them out online.
4. Take college prep core courses: English, mathematics, natural sciences, social sciences, and foreign languages.
JUNE - JULY
Register to take or retake the ACT or SAT. Use DC's ACT code (3264) or SAT code (1162) to have a copy of your scores sent directly to Defiance College.
1. Narrow your college choices down to two or three. Discuss your plans with your parents and guidance counselor.
2. Visit the colleges you have selected, attend area college fairs, and talk with college admission counselors visiting your high school.
3. Send in your applications with transcripts and fees.
4. Obtain financial aid forms.
1. You may begin filling out the FAFSA on October 1.
2. Send your completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to the Federal Student Aid Program. Use DC's Title IV code on the FAFSA (003041), so your results will also be sent to Defiance College. You can also fill it out online at fafsa.ed.gov.
3. Examine your financial resources and review your plans for financing your college education. Remember: don't eliminate any college because of cost. Financial aid can help make almost any college affordable.
NOVEMBER - FEBRUARY
MARCH - APRIL
Make your final decision.
1. Talk to people who attended or attend your college(s).
For DC, be sure to submit your $150.00 Enrollment Deposit.
Attend a new student orientation to schedule your fall semester classes.
JUNE - JULY
Attend a summer new student orientation to schedule your fall semester classes.
Last chance to attend a new student orientation to schedule your fall semester classes.
Your first days as a Defiance College student begin at the end of the month. Welcome, Yellow Jacket!