Gather information. Think about your reasons for going to college - personal growth, career preparation, and so on.
1. Determine what you want in a college. Identify characteristics important to you - size of classes, total enrollment, location, programs offered, services, atmosphere, activities, scholarships, academic reputation, etc.
2. Write for information from the colleges that have your desired features or check them out on the Web.
3. Take college prep core courses - English, mathematics, natural sciences, social sciences, and foreign languages.
Register to take or retake the ACT or SAT. Use DC's ACT code (3264) or SAT code (1162) to have a copy of your scores sent directly to Defiance College.
Apply for Admission.
1. Narrow your college choices down to two or three. Discuss your plans with your parents and guidance counselor.
2. Visit the colleges you have selected, attend area college fairs, and talk with college admission counselors visiting your high school.
3. Send in your applications with transcripts and fees.
4. Obtain financial aid forms.
Apply for financial aid.
1. Send your completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to the Federal Student Aid Program. Use DC's Title IV code on the FAFSA (003041), so your results will also be sent to Defiance College. You can also fill it out on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
2. For best results, submit all forms as soon as possible after January 1 and before March 1.
3. Examine your financial resources and review your plans for financing your college education. Remember - don't eliminate any college because of cost. Financial aid can help make almost any college affordable.
Make your final decision.
1. Talk to people who attended or attend your college(s).
2. Visit the college(s) again. (Come see us at DC!)
3. Receive your DC financial aid package and contact your admission counselor or the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about it.
4. Attend an Early Orientation to schedule your Fall Semester classes ($150 enrollment deposit must be paid to attend)
Make sure we have your $150.00 Enrollment Deposit.
1. Attend the May Orientation to schedule your Fall Semester classes
Attend a Summer Orientation to schedule your Fall Semester classes.
1. Last chance to attend an Orientation to schedule your Fall Semester classes
Your first days as a Defiance College student!
Welcome to DC!! You made a great decision!