What to Bring and What to Leave
Office of Residence Life
What to bring to DC (checklist)
- Appliances: TV, microwave (800 watt), refrigerator (no more than 4.5 cubic ft.)
- Bedding: sheets, blankets, mattress cover, pillow.
- McReynolds - The process is underway to change mattresses in McReynolds Hall into
extra-long size. Students should check their housing letter to see if they are in
a hallway with extra-long mattresses or a hallway with standard twin mattresses. (See
the section on Linens below)
- Whitney, Jacket Suites and Grand Avenue - Mattresses are extra-long size. (See the
section on Linens below)
- Laundry supplies: clothes bag, detergent, dryer sheets, hangers, drying stand, iron
and ironing board, wastebasket.
- Electronics: Stereo, alarm clock, surge protectors, fused surge protector strips,
video games, computer, window fan, hair dryer, flashlight
- Bathroom supplies: shower caddy, shower shoes, towels, wash cloths.
- Decoration: curtains to cover open closet space, posters, storage containers, throw
rug, plates, silverware, desk lamp, wastebasket, and flashlight.
What to leave behind
- Homemade bed lofts.
- Family pets except for fish in a bowl without a filter
- Any appliance with an exposed heating element (e.g. toaster, electric skillet, convection
oven, space or kerosene heater, halogen lamps).
- Fire hazards: plastic shower curtains, inflatable furniture, holiday lights of any
kind, extension cords, electric blankets, candles (even if unburned), incense.
- Weapons of any kind (e.g. firearms, paintball guns, paintballs, sling-shots, pellet
guns, knives, bows, or dart boards).
- Miscellaneous: water beds, inflatable furniture, bean bag chairs, sub-woofers, electric
- Air conditioner: without permission from the Office of Residence Life for a medical
- Gel window clings
- In order to provide stable wireless internet in the Residence Halls, we do not allow the use of personal routers in your room.
Laundry facilities are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on each of the
residence hall floors. This equipment is provided for the use of each building's residents.
If a machine is malfunctioning, please notify Residence Life as soon as possible by
completing a work order form.
There are a few standard twin mattresses provided in the McReynolds Hall. All other
mattresses are extra-long and measure 36”x80". The Office of Residence Life has partnered
with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way
to purchase sheets and bedding items that will fit any of the beds on campus, as well
as other campus-living necessities. These items may be purchased through http://www.rhl.org/dco.
Access to the Internet is available in each room and is provided by Defiance College.
For specific questions regarding the necessary hardware/software to gain access, please
contact Defiance College Computer Services at (419) 783-2312. More information will
be given to you during Orientation on the specifics, and also can be found here.